[nycbug-talk] How secure: wireless + ssh?

Dan Langille dan
Thu Dec 22 10:36:53 EST 2005

On 22 Dec 2005 at 10:14, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Had never had the need for wireless..
> Getting a new laptop and was wondering how safe it is to use a wireless WEP
> connection with SSH.
>
> I figure I would not put too much trust on the WEP part, but figure ssh will
> be the same regardless of whether it's wired/wireless.. just perhaps easier
> for someone to see the packets passing by..
>
> Any horror stories?
>
> As convenient as it may be if there is any risk.. I would just stay wired...

If all you do is ssh from your laptop, they can't sniff that any
easier than if it was on the wire.

If you want to stop others from using your wireless connection,
that's a different issue.  I achieve both security and control
through IPsec.  http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipsec.php

My laptop, whether running Windows XP Pro or FreeBSD, uses IPsec.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/