[nycbug-talk] How secure: wireless + ssh?

Trish Lynch trish
Fri Dec 23 12:48:21 EST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Dan Langille wrote:

>>> I think, from what I read, that WEP will stop the casual hackers... and
>>> hopefully I will be able to do something better soon.. like the article you
>>> reference below.
>>>

>> Most access points will allow you to setup filters on the MAC.
>
> Many OS's allow you to change your MAC.
> --

Yes, but you still have to guess valid macs, right? guess thats firly
easy while sniffing.

seriously its just another minor layer, but it won't help keep someone
from sniffing the wireless.

Why use WEP? use WPA, it addresses the issues with WEP.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16