[nycbug-talk] How secure: wireless + ssh?

Charles Sprickman spork
Mon Dec 26 14:26:41 EST 2005

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Chris Clymer wrote:

> The original responders had the best method for securing wireless:  don't.
> Secure your own transmissions over it with proven technologies like SSH and
> VPN.  Put your wireless access point on a different network segment from
> everything else, treat it like a leper.  Make your own decisions for how
> locked down your network needs to be, but always assume that your wireless
> access point is as untrusted as a connection could possibly be.

That seems like good advice...  Once I can figure out why every OpenBSD
past 3.5 panics on boot on my firewall I'm going to redesign things at
home.  I think that for a few people here the experience of setting things
up as if you're doing it for a small business would be very valuable
experience.

I wonder if anyone can comment on the overhead that running everything
through a VPN might have?  Specifically when we're talking about older
hardware.  I still run a G3/600 as my laptop and it seems like OS-X is dog
slow when it touches the SSL stuff (time page loads in Safari w/SSL and
w/o)...  I wonder what sort of slowdown this or a slower PII-class intel
laptop would see once all traffic has to be encrypted (just to be clear,
WEP/WPA are offloaded to the card if I understand that correctly).

Thanks,

Charles

ps - It's almost 70 degrees here in Florida