[nycbug-talk] 2x 3Ware Escalade 9500S-4LP SATA

Francisco Reyes lists
Sat Dec 31 13:27:37 EST 2005

Isaac Levy writes:

> Hey Francisco,
>
> Thanks for hanging with me on this thread- it's providing me with a
> lot of good insight man.

My pleasure.

>> I thik you would need to do a 6 Stable ISO disk... which I didn't
>> know how to do, so followed AMCCs instructions. Installed 5.4, then
>> loaded module from floppy... then upgraded to 6 stable.
>
> OUCH OUCH OUCH.  I can't do this for production webservers, I just
> can't.

I thought this was a new machine. Isn't it?

> Big picture question, aside from the NYC*BUG dmesg database, how
> could we proactively make this situation better?

Support vendors that support FreeBSD.
The company we bought from, http://www.siliconmechanics.com/, are familiar
with FreeBSD and we explained in pretty definite terms that we were going
to use it with FreeBSD. The burden was on them to give us a system that
worked with FreeBSD.

When we got stuck we called them and they did some leg
work for us to refine the instructions from AMCC so we could get the machine
to work. If we had have to do the research all on our own it would have been
a different story. They setup a simmilar machine to what we got, tested our
problem, replicated it and wrote back to us when they had specific
instructions on what needed to be done.

> That is now in my Monday Afternoon Queue as well...

Those lists are NOT as responsive as this list.. best to seed your question
NOW.. to give it time before tuesday (are you actually working monday? :-)..

I shouldn't be saying anything about monday.. I asked the owner if we needed
to come on monday and his phrase was "you don't have to come, but would be
very helpfull"... He is really a great person so I will go.. we have lots of
pending projects trying to get finished.