[nycbug-talk] httpsd

Jim Brown jpb
Sat Feb 5 07:32:08 EST 2005

* Pete Wright <pete at finn.nomadlogic.org> [2005-02-04 04:51]:
> seems like apache is a popular topic lately...
> so i've recently moved a mail server running:
>
> postfix+courier-imap+http-ssl+squirellmail+debian
>
> to 5.3-RELEASE.
>
> the migration was pretty painless and i'm trucking
> away and having a blast...altho one thing that has
> been bothering me is the performance of squirellmail
> I'm noticing long load times for pages that were
> quite quick one the debian install (for example loading
> my inbox is taking several seconds to load while it
> much quicker before the migration).  the network
> is the same, and reqular imap connections are as
> quick as can be...so i'm thinking that it might
> be an issue with the apache/php install.
>
> so what do the folks do here to tune php/httpsd
> installs.  while we discuss amoungst ourselves
> i'll see if i can hack up a little benchmark script.
>
> -p

Anytime I see long load or access times, I immediately
suspect some DNS problem.

Some things to check:

- hosts file, bind search order (in /etc/host.conf
  on FreeBSD.  Other BSDs differ.)

- ::1 localhost before 127.0.0.1 in hosts file.

- domainname or search statements in /etc/resolv.conf

- your IP is reverse resolvable (check with dig -x)

If you run DNS locally, check your named.conf and
local zone files.  Check for lame delegations
up or down the tree.  Restart the nameserver.

Check if your resolver routines are attempting
to resolve DNS AAAA records before AA records.
The AAAA records will time out, unless your DNS
server supports IPv6 and you actually have
a AAAA record.

Of course, you problem may have nothing to do with
DNS, in which case you can ignore all of the above :-)

Best Regards,
Jim B.