[nycbug-talk] Tor. . .

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Mon Feb 7 12:09:02 EST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:36:46AM -0500, George Bourozikas wrote:
> I've been using Tor+Privoxy for a couple of weeks (on a linux system, but
> it's more or less OS-agnostic) and I've been loving it.  Great idea and
> pretty fast for what it does, too!

I've been using it on FreeBSD -current (on i386) for a while now too,
and it does indeed rock :-)

One annoyance is that the config file format changed. When I
portugprade'd it it make no mention of that via pkg-message, so I had a
dead proxy for a few days until I noticed it (I only use tor
sporadically, the slowness is enough to make me prefer a direct
connection most of the time).

It was hilarious the first time I surfed to Google with Tor -- the code
that detects country of original based on IP address (from Akamai, I
suspect) assumed I was in Germany and presented Google to me in German.
Good fun :-)

-T

--
Page 2: Unix today is nothing less than a worldwide culture, comprising
many tools, ideas and customs.