[nycbug-talk] httpsd

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Mon Feb 7 14:09:11 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:14:11 -0500, Pete Wright <pete at finn.nomadlogic.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 06:43:12PM -0500, csnyder wrote:
> notied some improvements in loading pages....but it was still slow.  then did
> what i should have done fromt he get go, ran top while loading pages and noticed
> that impad was maxing out while my INBOX was being loaded.  i think this may have
> to due with my *very* cluttered INBOX.  i'll post more info when i have it....

If you are using a mbox(aka 1 big file) for your local inbox you will
have problems, I speak from experience here.  The problem  is that you
need to load and parse your inbox and due to the way UFS works if you
change anything, other than an append on the  end, you will need to
write the new file then delete the old(from imapd POV) and this can
use 2x the space of the inbox and be very slow.  look into maildir or
some other format if you have lots of mail and want imapd to be happy.

marc