[nycbug-talk] mac os termcap question

Bob Ippolito bob
Mon Feb 14 12:15:57 EST 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:59:33 -0500, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com>
> wrote:

>>> an assuming that we are using a black background with green text,
>>> most
>>> colours will make it harder to see
>>
>> Uh, I guess, but not using colors makes it harder to distinguish
>> between types of files.  I use gray on black.
>
> personally I hate color coding, why bother when you have 'ls -F'
> anyway and it is portable anywhere.

For the same reason most (sane) software developers use syntax
highlighting.  You either like it or you don't, but it provides a
"low-bandwidth" way to categorize tokens and can measurably enhance
productivity.

I personally use "/bin/ls -G -F -h" on Mac OS X as my alias for ls.
Colored ls -G output also provides more information than ls -F alone.
It distinguishes a+w directories, for example.  Fortunately I don't use
any platforms that have issues with colored terminals, though on some
platforms like Linux I use a slightly different alias to accomplish the
same thing.

-bob