[nycbug-talk] why /var?

Steve Rieger steve.rieger
Fri Feb 18 16:23:31 EST 2005

Some folks prefer many separate slices for different directories, and some
folks only have / /usr /tmp /var and swap, I have many including
/usr/local/nbin where I put all user binaries/scripts that need to be
accessed by all, /usr/local/cbin for cron binaries/scripts I also divide
/var/log and /var/spool, but then again I spend about two days setting up a
new server,

In the past (when doing a new mail server) I also formatted the hd with
4bytes instead of the usual, I also take into consideration where I will out
what slice on the physical drive depending what it will do.

The options are endless, just go with what you are comfortable, but once in
a while try something new.