[nycbug-talk] The serial cable jungle

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Tue Feb 22 15:44:11 EST 2005

Howdy folks,

I'm trying to find some information on how to pin those little
RJ-45<->DB9M adpaters such that I can hook up a typical Intel server (as
opposed to Sun box) to my Digi PortServer II.

Google ain't showin' me no luv.

A few things that I know for sure:

* A Cisco-style console cable doesn't work -- anyone know how *these*
  puppies are wired?
* 10-pin RJ-45? wtf? Digi and their altpin scheme is evil
* Digi part number 76000697 looks like what I need, except it's a
  bazillion Canadian dollars (well, it's more than making my own
  adapters using generic stuff I can pick up at the electronics supply
  store)
* The PDF "Digi Terminal Server Cable Guide" only lists DB25 examples.
  Does anyone know of a reasonably accurate DB25->DB9 pin mapping guide?

Thanks all,

-T

--
"If 'everybody knows' such-and-such, then it ain't so, by at least ten
 thousand to one."