[nycbug-talk] CARP on FreeBSD [list thread fork]

Isaac Levy ike
Mon Feb 28 13:53:37 EST 2005

Hi all,

Thought I'd fork this from the ntp thread in case it got noisy,

On Feb 28, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2005 at 13:25, Isaac Levy wrote:
>> ... boxes that go down could be physically taken offline for
>> perhaps weeks at a time- or never return to the cluster, so I'd like
>> try to make it as brainless as possible-
>
> CARP comes to mind.

*sigh*
For these systems in particular, where I'm doing a lot of jailing,
FreeBSD 4.x is de-facto production standard for me, for some time to
come...  with that, I've got some longing reservations about diving
down the CARP path right now...

Dan: I know Carp is living a healthy life in FreeBSD 5.x, but do you
know anything I don't know, (or that google is witholding from me),
about CARP on FreeBSD 4.x?

So far, this is the only relevant stuff I found on the issue:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2004-September/000300.html

(Pyun YongHyeon, who ported CARP to FreeBSD 5.x, speaking on why he
doesn't care to port to FreeBSD 4.x...  And with a tear welling up in
my eye, I can see his logic.)

--
Anyone have any good thoughts on this, or should just accept this and
plan to keep CARP fun relegated to ike-playland for the next year or

Rocket-
.ike