[nycbug-talk] .WorkGroup, Apache and FreeBSD Hostname

Jesse Callaway jesse
Fri Feb 4 20:35:17 EST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 07:15:11PM -0500, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2005, at 10:55 PM, Matthew Terenzio wrote:
>

> > On Feb 3, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
> >

> > > sounds like you should probably set your hostname
> > >

> > Wow, that was tough.
> > I  can't believe I couldn't find it on Google.
> > Good Night.
> >
> > \
> >
> For future readers of this thread:
>
> [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname("hostname")
>
> was the error in /var/log/httpd-error.log
>
> Turns out I not only needed to set my hostname, but add it to
> /etc/hosts
> as chronicled in this thread as well
>

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-June/009996.html
>

> Apache is running, next I move to Postgresql and PHP.

yeah, almost every *nix I've ever seen needs this touch, AS WELL AS the explicit hostname variable setting mechanism. Ie, by hostname(8) or whatever. Not fun back in the dialup days. I'm all for only using the hosts file if it exists. Normal operation otherwise. I think we're well past the days of trying to keep a local text file of all of the hostnames we'll encounter. It seems only convienient for hacks involving clustering and/or NAT.

-jesse