[nyphp-talk] Re: [nycbug-talk] mysql lisc. question

Bob Ippolito bob
Sat Feb 5 08:56:30 EST 2005

On Feb 5, 2005, at 12:58 AM, Pete Wright wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 12:43:39AM -0500, Matthew Terenzio wrote:
>>

>>> I'm no license expert. But I plan to be one in the coming
>>> months/years.
>>>
>>> But this seems like a point of contention between different OS
>>> licenses that might become divisive for certain causes.
>

> yea i totally agree, on one hand i can imagine that MySQL AB has to
> please the GPL camp and on the other they have to make money for a
> product that they are devloping.  From my perspective it looks like
> using a BSD or MIT style liscense may work out better for them...but
> that obviously would not work for historical reasons.

MySQL wants people to buy their proprietary licenses.  If they gave
away BSD/MIT licenses for MySQL, presumably they wouldn't be able to
sell it nearly as well because there would no longer be a legal need to
do so.

-bob