[nycbug-talk] failed port install

Jim Brown jpb
Sun Feb 6 06:06:55 EST 2005

* Matthew Terenzio <matt at jobsforge.com> [2005-02-05 18:04]:
> Is there an easy way to back out of a port install gone bad.
>
> During a PHP install I was prompted for a few parameters and
> accidentally chose Apache 2 instead of 1.3
>
> make deinstall doesn't work because the installation didn't happen
>
> and running make install again fails, and I don't get prompted again.
>
> Or reconfigure --with-apxs
>
> I didn't see any mention of this in The Handbook

Yeah, this is usually ugly.  The problem is that ports load
and install other ports- which is usually what you want.
In this case, you want to find the dependencies and
trim only what you don't want.

Here's what I've done-

If you've completed the install and the port has been registered, run

pkg_info -L pkgname

This shows a list of all files related to the package.

Next, run

pkg_info -r pkgname

This shows a list of other packages required by this package.

If you still suspect that you're not getting everything,
or you want to super-cautious, go to  the work directory
for the top level product (PHP in your case), and remove
the .build_done  and .install_done files.

Then cd up to the main port directory, and start a script
session.  Rerun the make and make install.   When all
is done, exit from the script session, and your typescript
file will have a record of all actions performed during
the make install.

Armed with all this information delete just the files
you think apply to apache2.  Or, delete it all, and
start over.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
Jim B.