[nycbug-talk] Shmoocon device. . .

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst
Mon Feb 7 13:43:48 EST 2005

>> 53:29AM -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:

>>> Fit in your hand.
>>>
>>> It's the size of the standard Verizon caller ID boxes. . . but a
>>> little
>>> thinner.
>>>

>> Ok.  Sorry for being an idiot, but if I want to connect my laptop to a
>> wireless net, I can run kismet to find networks, presumably my laptop
>> will already be in my bag ...
>>
>> why do I want another heavier than software device ?
>
> Sometimes it is harder to find an open AP. It might take a number of
> blocks, or minutes, until there is one available (open and signal is
> strong enough). In cases like this, it is easier to walk around with a
> little hand held device than an open laptop. It is also less suspicious
> (just in case), and saves laptop battery. It depends on your needs, if
> you don't need to read email or do things many times a day using
> wireless, then it probably makes less sense to get one.

I could see myself carrying this when I don't have my laptop or don't
actually need a connection.  So I'm walking to work, checking out
possible locations to sit with a cup of coffee and check email later in
the day...WarWalking

Also, this would make setting up a wireless network much easier.  i
hate running around our school with my powerbook in one hand and a tool
box in the other.

-brad