[nycbug-talk] why /var?

George Georgalis george
Sat Feb 19 15:22:03 EST 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:45:15AM -0500, marco at metm.org wrote:

>>On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 04:57:54AM -0500, Jesse Callaway wrote:
>>>Wow, plural? What's the deal with that? No 'media' folders?
>>
>>No 'medias' no 'hosts' no 'domains' folder - just the singular form.
>>
>Former database programmer huh?

nah, I just think proper names (and naming sustem) are very important.
depending on context, directories could be plural eg "./distfiles" so I
vacillated a while and finally decided, damn it, even if I sometimes refer
to "./distfiles", "./distfile/*" implies plural and is less typing.

(I'm putting in /usr/local/distfile, with the implied functionality,
on Linux systems now, and making it nfs where possible, vs typical
linux /usr/local/src containing tarballs and extracted source... not
going off the deep end, changing BSD.)

I'm not quite up to Jesse's security model, one file per spindle.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org