[nycbug-talk] using css for printed materals

Jay daggerquill
Tue Feb 22 12:05:43 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:40:31 -0500, George Georgalis <george at galis.org> wrote:
> Goal, develop documentation model that will easily port to SGML.
> Requirements, standard technical report type formatting, outline type
> formatting, with lots of tables.
>
> Sounds like standard html (table header, and column identifiers on top
> of each table). But there is a catch, the documents will be printed
> and on each printed page should appear the table header and column
> labels. Is there a css (media=print) tag that will put Table header and
> col identifiers on each page, like below?  Any templates for this?
>
> // George

George,

There are a couple of ways to do this.  It's tough in the browser,
because that depends so heavily on the user's set-up: lett/a4
conversion, fonts, margins, etc.  My preference would be html2latex,
which is a perl module to do exactly what its name implies.  you can
get it from cpan if you don't already have it.  Take a look at the
docs at html2latex.sourceforge.net.  If it doesn't automatically
produce the output you're looking for, you can postprocess the LaTeX
source before sending it to the printer.  If the idea is for visitors
to the website to be able to print themselves, run pdflatex on the
file and let them download the pdf.

HTH,

--jay