[nycbug-talk] help with freeBSD

G T unixenigma
Fri Feb 25 15:43:43 EST 2005

--- Ryan Seu <ryanseu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone. I'm a noob to freeBSD but I'm
> definitely trying to
> working on it and get the kinks out. I have a basic
> tech question that
> might belong more on the X.org list but I thought
> I'd throw it out
> here first
>
> I just installed freeBSD 5.3 on my work station
> (Dell Dimension 3000)
> that has i865G intel chipset. I managed to get X
> started but I'm
> having problem adjusting the video mode. It keeps
> going back to the
> default 640X480 mode. I checked the log file and the
> only thing that I
> can see that seems relavent is this:
>
> (II) I810(0): Monitor0: Using default hsync range of
> 31.00-80.00 kHz
> (II) I810(0): Monitor0: Using default vrefresh range
> of 56.00-75.00 Hz
> (II) I810(0): Not using mode "1280x1024" (no mode of
> this name)
> (II) I810(0): Increasing the scanline pitch to allow
> tiling mode (640 -> 1024).
> (--) I810(0): Virtual size is 640x480 (pitch 1024)
> (**) I810(0): Built-in mode "640x480"
> (II) I810(0): Attempting to use 73Hz refresh for
> mode "640x480" (41)
>
> and it goes on
>
> The device and screen section of my configuration
> file is as follows:
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Card0"
> 	Driver	"i810"
> 	ChipSet	"865G"
> 	Card	"i810 865G"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Screeno"
> 	Device	"Card0"
> 	Monitor	"Minotor0"
> 	DefaultDepth	16
> 	Subsection "Display"
> 		Viewport	0 0
> 		Depth	16
> 		Modes	"1280x1024"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Ryan
> %Be sure to check out our Jobs and NYCBUG-announce
> lists

probably this high mode is not supported by this
driver/card/monitor try using something else and
double check the driver - sometimes using default one
helps. Not sure but I thought modes cane be setup
like:
"800X600 1024X768 1280X1024"
in any case I would not advice to use highest.
Try lower ones first. Play with deapth as well.
It did cause some problems some time ago too.
Later on I'll check my confs...
(if still your problem's not resolved)

GT