[nycbug-talk] Jail Performance

Louis Bertrand louis
Tue Jan 4 23:01:22 EST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Pete Wright wrote:

> Hey nycbugers,
> 	I've been kicking around some ideas regarding jailing
> in an "enterprise" environment.  While jails do have the obvious
> benefit of added security; one thing that interests me are the
> possibilities of using jails to assist with server and app.
> management in distrubited envrionments.  The basic idea I am
> thinking of is creating jails for specific applications that
> get loaded to a farm of servers via PXE-TFTP.  One would netboot
> a server, and then dist a jail to that system after boot.  Seems
> simple enough...but what about performance.  Has anyone noticed
> any significant performance bottlenecks w/in jails.  I would not
> expect any, and have not seen any either.  But maybe there is
> something I'm missing?

Just a quick thought, and note that I really have no idea what I'm
talking aobut, but didn't you just describe IBM's VM operating
system for mainframes?  I think they run multiple independent
instances of Linux, each in its own virtual machine (hence the name).

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis at bertrandtech dot ca>