[nycbug-talk] lame...real lame Andy

Bob Ippolito bob
Wed Jan 12 16:08:20 EST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 15:19, pete wright wrote:

> heh well you say that like sharing is a bad thing....what bothers me
> about RMS and the GPL is that it infact ends up *reducing* the amount
> of freedom and individual has by using the GPL (shamelessly taken from
> a rant Theo).

Yeah.  I'm a GPL-hater too.  As a software developer, GPL just adds
hassle.  Licenses that impose fewer restrictions give me more
flexibility.  If I want to (or have time to, or am allowed to) share
something, I will, and I often do.  I don't need an idealist license to
force me to share, though I suppose that may be the case for some
developers.

The GPL actually makes me much less likely to share.  If it's GPL, I
probably won't contribute to it or even use it unless I absolutely have
no other option.

-bob