[nycbug-talk] lame...real lame Andy

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Wed Jan 12 20:12:49 EST 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 14:13, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> The gpl, IMO, is anti innovation as far as software goes.  Explain
> this to the VC/shareholders:
>
> 1: you used a gpled library in your commercial app.

there was your single biggest mistake.

if your employees are too stupid to take care of licensing regardless of open
source or closed source, the manager and the employees need to be fired
pronto

> 2: one of your customers figures it out
> 3: said customer demands all your code, using a lawyer
> 4: puts it up on sourceforge, along with his own compiled windows binaries
> 5: it is your only product and sales have droped off by +90%

not the GPL's products fault

did the GPL product visit your home at nite and threatened you with a gun if
you didn't use it ?

No, you ********** WILLINGLY *********** chose to use it and now must deal
with the consequences of it.

(May I repeat the key word .... WILLINGLY )

its like unprotected sex with that random gal/guy at the bar last nite.  You
had fun (step 1), and now you've got huge problems (steps 2, 3, 4, and 5)

> the gpl is designed to destroy the value of software and it does a
> very good job of doing it.

Of course! clearly the authors behind Mplayer, GNOME, Pan, Gaim, Gimp, etc etc
etc want to destroy the value of their hard work and labor.

Do not attack the GPL if you ****WILLINGLY**** chose to use software licensed
under it.

That would be like going on NASA's Shuttle to space and complaining about
freeze-dried food (which tastes really really bad BTW).

Sunny Dubey