[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

Pete Wright pete
Tue Jan 18 12:51:05 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:23:53PM -0500, Brad Schonhorst wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >So I've got a hardware question some folks here may find fun.
> >
> >I'm looking to replace my home-office soho type router.  For a long
> >time I've used an ADSL 'router' provided by my ISP, which basically
> >does NAT and DHCP, and does it quite simply and reliably.  With that,
> >this thing is aging, and perhaps dying after a few years of solid
> >service- and I'm looking at options...
> >
> >Biggest requirement: the router must simply run, with as little
> >ike-interaction as possible, as not to disrupt my other regular work.
> >

> Although not as professional looking as a little Soekris, you could
> just use an old (reliable) PC and drop a few ethernet cards in and run
> OpenBSD without spending the time prepping the Soekris stuff (CF I
> assume)

this is pretty much what i did before i migrated my setup to soekris/obsd.
the added benefit was that i had a working pf ruleset running before i brought
the soekris box into my setup.  so when i started hacking on pxebooting the
sucker, getting pf running was not an issue.  honestly tho, after working
on several different NAT/Firewall solutions on different platforms I
really think that PF is the only way to go if you need mucho uptime
and don't want to have to spend too much time learning wierd ruleset
syntax (cough iptables ;) or throw in the towel and use a sketchy web
interface.

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~