[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

G. Rosamond george
Wed Jan 19 10:18:18 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 10:10 AM, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:

> On 1/18/2005 9:10 PM, Brant I. Stevens wrote:
>> I'd recommend a Linksys WRT54GS...  Drop the default firmware and use
>> OpenWRT, though it is based on the L-word.
>> http://www.openwrt.org
>
> Violates the requirement to have as little interaction as possible.
> Use the WRT54GS as it stands; it's a fine little box.
>
> Really, with the COTS boxes, you spend more time simply removing the
> wrapping than you do with setup. They're deny all inbound by default,
> permit all outbound, and Just Work.
>
> And they're cheaper than the soekris units.

It actually makes sense for someone in NYC*BUG to maintain a easy to
install script for Soekris with CF card as the medium.  Complete with
home connectivity. . . PPOE, etc.  When I have the time, I'd be willing
to do this. . . make it easy for all to use Soekris just by following
some easy steps, without worrying about pf rules, etc.  We must be
responsible for something like 10% of Soekris sales at this point. <g>

We have it up on the site, and maybe do a variety of images. . .
Verizon DSL, Optonline, standard DHCP for external IP, etc.  We could
make it easy for those without the time or inclination to run Soekris
at home without much thought or effort.

> Like I said before, if you're the type who buys tobacco and rolling
> papers, build. Else, buy.

Woah. . . you do know Ike. . .