[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

Bob Ippolito bob
Wed Jan 19 14:05:57 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 12:04, G. Rosamond wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> Wordup All,
>>
>> So I REALLY dig the idea of a NYC*BUG distributed SoHo router image,
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2005, at 11:02 AM, G. Rosamond wrote:
>>
>>> Sure.  But the point of NYC*BUG, to me at least, should be to pool
>>> some of our skills and resources so we can do things like run a
>>> Soekris box without having to start from square one.
>>>
>>> sysadmins<->devs
>>> newusers<->old hacks
>>>
>>> The idea would be to make it easier for those who *do* want to run
>>> Soekris as a firewall at home without too much effort.
>>>
>>> I'd envision this:
>>>
>>> You download and copy to your CF card.
>>>
>>> Plug it in.
>>>
>>> Use it.
>>>
>>> all images would include:
>>>
>>> standard dhcp range from .150-.200
>>>
>>> the particular isps dns servers, ppoe, dhcp, whatever.
>>>
>>> dmz ips pre-assigned even if unused covering www, mail, dns.
>>>
>>> standard pf rules for the three interfaces.

>> After investigating more yesterday, it's REALLY noteworthy to check
>> out how the m0n0wall folks distribute install media- really
>> straightforeword.  I'd love to see this go in that direction, but
>> OpenBSD/PF based, and perhaps not *soo* focused on a html gui- (but
>> that could be a cool side-project for later!)
>
> the html gui would be a nice addition, although not necessarily for
> one aimed at nycbug members.
>

>> Shall we rock this?
>>

> I would love to, and have the basic setup ready, including pfstat,
> etc., but really don't have the time.
>
> volunteers?
>
> I know a number of nycbug people, like Kurt M., Okan D., Pete W.,
> etc., have had some Soekris fun.  I'm sure they have some input into
> the matter, if not volunteering.

If this gets off the ground I'll probably buy one and help..  I've been
meaning to replace my years-old Linux-based crap for a looong time, but
like Ike, I can't afford the downtime.  If I had a second device, it
wouldn't be a big deal... but I don't want to buy one and spend all the
time setting it up.  If I had an image that I could just throw on a CF
card that was almost all the way there, I would do it in a second.

-bob