[nycbug-talk] stack size in FreeBSD / Zope

Isaac Levy ike
Mon Jan 24 13:17:36 EST 2005

Hi All,

I need to learn a bit more basic stuff about stack sizes when compiling
software on FreeBSD- I'm looking for any resources online, insomuch as
any of my googling comes up with stack-smashing techniques, (ProPolice
and the like), not what I'm looking for.  I've not found what I'm
looking for in the FreeBSD handbook, and not sure where to dig next.

Thanks for any comments/urls, Rocket-
.ike

Why (if anyone is interested further in what I'm up to):
--
I'm fixin' to attempt to track down and permanently resolve a
longstanding bug in Plone/CMF, (a software which is built on top of

1) Python builds and runs great on every system I've ever touched

2) Zope builds and runs fine stock on FreeBSD; Zope runs a restricted
Python interperter for various reasons (context, web applications and
web server- security and performance).

3) Somewhere in the restricted interperter, something is wrong where
Zope needs more than the 64K stack on FreeBSD, so Plone especailly, (an
app of mosterous scale in it's own right), crashes Zope.  The FreeBSD
port of Zope builds a python which fixes this issue, but I'm just not
comfortable with that any more.

Some very old dead-end, but spot-on, mail on the topic, which has
become the 'fix' for Plone on FreeBSD (duct-tape, if you ask me, but
it's worked for years):
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2002-January/014718.html

Also, a Plone.org collector issue:
http://plone.org/collector/3199/ISSUE_TRANSCRIPT/view?
searchterm=WANT_HUGE_STACK_SIZE

4) Much of the Zope commmunity is Linux based, so this FreeBSD bug gets
no attention- (a few years this bug has stood!), as it's not an issue
on Linux - so I'm interested in anything folks can say about stack
sizes in Linux?