[nycbug-talk] first install - FreeBSD5.3

G. Rosamond george
Mon Jan 24 20:36:55 EST 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, at 8:25 PM, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

> Well, I installed FreeBSD  5.3 . This was my first BSD install.
> In general, it was painless.

Good to hear. . . What is your technical background, if you don't mind
me asking?

> Wasn't too familiar with inetd.conf. I just uncommented ssh.

ssh is enabled by default, and it's not through /etc/inetd.conf

Check out /etc/rc.conf and /etc/ssh/sshd_config

> Didn't understand, at first why I couldn't authenticate as root

By default connecting to a BSD box with root over ssh is disabled. . .
for obvious reasons.

Again, see /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

This is good particularly in light of the increase in brute force
attacks tools that have been born over the past year.

Are there OSs that enable root ssh access by default (oh, horrors).

> .
> Created a new user and ssh'd from my mac into the FreeBSD box.
> Got in.
> Then I tried to su - . . . Sorry

Yup . . . or install /usr/ports/security/sudo

> So I start my journey. . .
>
> So far, though, I'm liking it. Perhaps a convert was born today. Or
> should I say bourne again?
>
> Hmmm

Enjoy. . . .

Keep the FreeBSD Handbook close at hand . . . trust the BSD documents
including the manual pages, they are so good that it's difficult to
sell BSD books and make money.