[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Wed Jan 26 14:28:13 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:02:12PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> That's an interesting idea...  My best guess is that this list is mainly
> freebsd users with a sprinkling of openbsd users and just about no NetBSD
> users.  That's kind of sad considering the number of NYC folks on the Net
> team...  Anyhow it sounds very interesting.  I've been meaning to play
> with NetBSD again (haven't used it since 0.9).
>
> Any NetBSD folks here?

Yup :-)

I run NetBSD on an SGI O2, on a Vaxstation 4000/60, on a SparcStation 20
and a SparcStation 10, on a DECStation 5000/25, and the OS in my IBM
thin client is based on NetBSD. I don't have any i386 boxes running
NetBSD -- perhaps that's common, perhaps not. My i386 boxes tend to be
FreeBSD, though they're outnumbered by RISC boxes and Vaxen (by CPU, not
by MIPS-count).

I tend not to mention operating systems by name very much because Unix
is, more or less, Unix (my .sig from the ironicly-minded random
sigmonster notwithstanding, heh -- he must not be using cfengine).

Aside from BSDish operating systems, I also run OpenVMS, Solaris and
IRIX at home and Linux on my laptop (integrating heterogenous systems is
both a hobby and a part of my job).  On a list like this one I mentally
translate everything into FreeBSD terms and jargon ("ports" instead of
"pkgsrc" or "RPMs", for example) because it makes for a handy lingua
franca[1].

I think having a common frame of reference makes it easier to talk about
ideas and solutions with folks who aren't running what I'm running ...
and often I'll never fess up that I'm translating, for example, file
paths that I'm posting to a list in order to participate in an
interesting conversation ;-)

-T

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca ... the history behind the
   word is fascinating.

--
"If you're a UNIX user, all UNIX are pretty much the same. If you're a
 UNIX programmer, all UNIX are a little bit different. If you're a UNIX