[nycbug-talk] twisted python resources

pete wright pete
Sun Jan 30 14:52:21 EST 2005

On Jan 29, 2005, at 6:47 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2005, at 20:10, <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:27:48 -0500
>> Pete Wright <pete at finn.nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>>
>>> so i'm looking to write a "simple" messaging client
>>> for my network in python.  it's more of an exercise to
>>> get me up to speed on programming in python,
>

> Also, if I were designing such an app, I would probably use SQLite or
> PostgreSQL rather than MySQL.  At the low-mid range, SQLite 3 is
> godawful fast and makes backup and migration really really easy.
> Going up a few notches, PostgreSQL is more powerful than MySQL in that
> it supports more stuff useful for development, has less stupid
> "gotchas", and a much better license.  Also, in the case of
> PostgreSQL, the Python DB-API adapters available are a whole hell of a
> lot better written, and there is even a pure python implementation
> available <http://barryp.org/software/bpgsql>.

yea i've been pretty impressed by SQLite (used it while testing
bacula).  for now i'm thinking of just using a flat XML file for this
exercise.  the main problem i am trying to solve with this exercise  is
keeping an association between a UID and a hostname.  while i know i
can most likely get this data from our LDAP DB, I don't feel
comfortable enough with our systems to start exploring our LDAP
hierarchy and implementation.  maybe by using XML it will make things
easier to port (%99 of our inhouse code uses XML for data transport) to
our production systems if people start using it.  on the other hand
before i get to tied to XML I should probably speak with our LDAP pep's
and see what they think....

> The best way to learn Twisted programming these days seems to be the
> step by step tutorial of writing a Finger server taking advantage of
> some of the various features Twisted has to offer
> <http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/howto/tutorial/index>.
> Other than that, #twisted on IRC is usually helpful, as-is the
> <twisted-python at twistedmatrix.com> list.  Besides that, I have
> significant (years) of experience with Twisted and I am a contributor
> (though I don't have much time to hack on Twisted these days), so I
> can provide some help on or off this list.

I started going through that tutorial on friday, altho had to stop due
to other work related stuff.  it looks great, and again impressed on me
how elegant python is as a language.

> It may be particularly useful if you kept a log of your learning
> experience so that you can clean it up and write an article.  The
> article would not only help other sysadmin/developer types looking to
> write simple applications to better their network, but it will also
> help the Twisted folks patch a few holes in the learning curve.

that's a good idea...i'll try to keep you all posted too!

-p

~o0OO0o~
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org