[nycbug-talk] [OT] FreeBSD 5.4 crashing?

pete wright nomadlogic
Fri Jul 1 11:37:00 EDT 2005

On 6/30/05, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Dan Casey wrote:
>
> > I had a bitch of a time with my FreeBSD 5.3 box. all types of random
> > stuff was happening.. Some programs would core dump randomly for no
> > reason. Rebooting the computer would actually lock it up instead of
> > shutting it down all the way.. Disabling hyperthreading fixed a few of
> > the problems Disable ACPI fixed everything else.
>
> Interesting, I actually disabled hyperthreading already.  I also disabled
> IPF, which has made it stable since ... weird huh?  If I have anymore
> problems I'll try ACPI as a last resort.

It's been my experience that ACPI stands for "A Crappy Power
Interface" ;)  not sure if it's the way it's been implemented in
software or hardware, but I alway's disable it by default unless I
a) know it will work well
b) if there is some must have feature with ACPI that I need

(This is not a FreeBSD only issue either, I have had problems with
gnu/linux as well...)

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~