[nycbug-talk] [OT] FreeBSD 5.4 crashing?

David Rio Deiros driodeiros
Fri Jul 1 13:29:30 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 05:17:59PM -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The past two weeks have been rough for me.  I've had our production mail
> server, FreeBSD 5.4, and our back end LDAP servers crashing.  I've tried
> everything, from upgrading to 5.4-STABLE, and now switching from IPF to PF
> (which actually has made them not crash).

Matt,

First of all.
I have just read the thread you started on the openbsd mailing list
misc at . Damn it! I am scared.... there a couple of nasty emails in
there. I consider this reply from Theo especially unnecessary:

This is an openbsd list.  please honour that.

And that leads me to what I really wanted to tell you. Perhaps it is
not going to help you but.... Have you considered NetBSD? I warranty,
at least, that you won't get such a nasty emails from the mailing
list.

The idea of using FreeBSD4.11 is very interesting also. I see your
concerns about the eventual dead of 4.X. I would consider
dragonfly, which it is mainly based on 4.X FreeBSD.

David