[nycbug-talk] [OT] FreeBSD 5.4 crashing?

Isaac Levy ike
Fri Jul 1 16:08:35 EDT 2005

Hi Matt, All,

On Jul 1, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:

>> A couple more questions-
>>
>> - is every item in your config on the supported hardware list?
>> - did you previously run this hardware on 4.11?
>>
>> I remember seeing at least one benchmark that indicated that
>> OpenBSD performed poorly (not a perjorative use of this term-
>> I'm an OBSD fan), so if you need the speed, FreeBSD or NetBSD
>> are the way to go.
>>

> Yea, I heard this also.... I just wish our freebsd install would
> stay stable.  Without IPF, it seems to be ... knock on wood.

Well, I'll throw this in, (hoping not to incite any religions wars
over ipf/pf/ipfw),

Basically, I'd think ipf is your problem.  ON FreeBSD 5.3 onward, pf
is a really celebrated part of the OS now- with nearly as much
respect and attention given to it as OpenSSH.

The previous default firewall for FreeBSD had been ipfw, *not* ipf,
and with things like firewalls, I believe it's important, with high-
volume anything, to stick close to whatever everyone puts in the base
system.

I'm basically saying that it wouldn't surprise me if your boxes
stayed up for a *VERY* long time under load, now that you've gotten
ipf out of the picture- (very few people are maintaining it on
FreeBSD, to my understanding).

my .02?,

Rocket,
.ike