[nycbug-talk] Getting started in Consulting

Louis Bertrand louis
Fri Jul 1 17:41:53 EDT 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Hans Zaunere wrote:
>
>> I've just setup subversion and will likely be deploying it as well.
>> While not as mature as CVS, it's a bit more elegant (read: cvs can be
>> tricky).  Administration is a bit easier, since it can hook into
>> Apache 2 and uses the all-familiar URL techniques for remote access and
>> user management.
>
> Did you come from a CVS background?
> For a small CVS user base (ie 2 or 3 people doing small, mostly no
> conflicting changes) do you see an advantage on switching to Subversion from
> CVS?

It depends on what you're doing. I'm setting up a versioning repository
for teaching materials at school, and I think Subversion will handle
binary files and directory tree refactoring more gracefully. Also, some
users will be non technical and the Windows and Mac client side tools are
easier to get into. For mostly text files in a stable file system hierarchy
and command line user interface, CVS is lightweight and solid.

Sheesh... some thread drift.

Ciao
  --Louis  <louis at bertrandtech dot ca>