[nycbug-talk] Internet 768kb and up on a budget

George Georgalis george
Tue Jul 5 12:40:22 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:52:43AM -0400, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I was suprised at Alex's point that two dsl lines would work. It's just
>> a few command lines (once you know them) in Linux to load balance
>> multiple gateways, and many linksys routers have an option for redundant
>> gateways / loadbalancing for your lan.
>>
>> But I don't think either of these will increase max bandwidth of a given
>> connection, ie, it may provide two 768K uplinks at the same time but not
>> one 1536. Maybe there is some transfer protocol that can take advantage
>> of two gateways, (rsync and cvsup come to mind) but I'm not sure if they
>> would do it.
>Correct, linux doesn't do per-packet-load-balancing.  PPLB is not a
>perfect solution, however, it works in 99% of cases. (The cases where it
>doesn't work are things sensitive to packet reordering. Fortunately, all
>modern TCP stacks are OK with it).
>
>Doing PPLB on linux it is *probably* not so hard to hack in, but I haven't
>tried.
>
>You can also do link aggregation with mlpppoe (multilink ppp over
>ethernet). Very hacky, but I've done that.
>
>> An isp provided soekris for interface bridging does indeed sound like a
>> good thing.
>Why use soekris when you can use cisco. Although, on this mailing list,
>most people would probably say 'why use cisco when you can use soekris'...

so you're saying you can support 2x dsl, for the cost of a second line,
setup and equipment? (I don't know what cisco you are referring to, but
cost and ease of use are certainly factors -- I think the real point is
why don't you sell the stuff preconfigured so people who want 2x or 3x
bandwidth can get it without integrating)

<rant>why does everyone these days say it's easy for me,
U(nderstand)TFM</rant>

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org