[nycbug-talk] Internet 768kb and up on a budget

David Rio Deiros driodeiros
Tue Jul 5 22:16:11 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:30:19PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> Well a few more than I remembered, but here's my notes; I think this
> works (add the iproute2 package if you don't have it), GATEWAY0 is
> used on a 6:1 ratio with GATEWAY1 (or vice versa?)

Thanks George.
Do you know if this feature is implemented in BSD? As far as I know
it is not.

> GATEWAY0=216.254.97.1
> GATEWAY1=65.185.37.22
> NIC0=216.254.97.15
> NIC1=65.185.37.21
> route del default
> ip route add 0.0.0.0/0 via $GATEWAY0 table E0
> ip route add 0.0.0.0/0 via $GATEWAY1 table E1
> ip rule add from $NIC0 table E0
> ip rule add from $NIC1 table E1
> ip route add default scope global \
>         nexthop via $GATEWAY0 weight 6 \
>         nexthop via $GATEWAY1 weight 1
> ip route flush cache
>

> Not sure what happens if a link fails and I wonder if it would work with
> one physical interface...

One more question, does this system caches routes?  If it does, It means
that routes to often used sites will use always the same provider.

Very interesting anyway. I have to read more about it.