[nycbug-talk] maildir client via smb for windows...

George Georgalis george
Thu Jul 7 12:56:11 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:06:48AM -0400, Jesse Callaway wrote:
>On Thursday 07 July 2005 09:53 am, Kevin Reiter says:
>> Marc Spitzer wrote:
>> > seconded I like it and have used it.  Just curious does thunderbird do
>> > it?
>>
>> No idea.  I haven't really had time lately to look into it.  If I hear
>> anything, I'll post it.
>>
>> -Kev
>
>Thunderbird needs either POP or IMAP. Kmail is another which supports reading
>off of the local filesystem. I'm using it now, but only because I'm too lazy
>to change it (and set up POP). It's an OK program and the only problems are
>GUI related, and thus will be ironed out I assume. But the problems are bad.
>The toolbar buttons have a mind of their own.

Well if I wasn't clear the primary requirement is that it runs on
Windows.  Webmail is already available for this account, but presently
I'm setting up pop3d so a windows client on the lan can pop the Unix
maildir (which is already on their desktop via samba) from Netscape
mail, which is, in turn, saved in mbox format on the Unix disk, via the
same samba share. (SIGH)

It looks like Thunderbird could support maildir through extensions, but
one doesn't seem to exist.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org