[nycbug-talk] HUGE process size for httpd

max max
Wed Jul 13 11:51:57 EDT 2005

Hello,
I noticed this when I ran top today:
92011 httpsd     4    0   175M     0K accept   0:25  0.00%  0.00% <httpd>
56850 httpsd     4    0   175M     0K accept   0:25  0.00%  0.00% <httpd>

The 175M is the total process size, RES size is 0k so I am assuming the whole thing is swapped out. There are 10 procs like this, 5 for httpd 5 for httpsd ( I separate those for different users/daemons).
This is on a machine that has httpd compiled with mm-1.3.1 as per mod_ssl/apache guide (both httpd and httpsd are). Is that whats doing it?
The apache server config with all the virtual hosts and everything else is certainly nothing special or big, the only modules active is php/pgsql/dav/mod_ssl and there is almost 0 traffic on that host right now.
Would it make sense that all the modules loaded from apache can make the process size so big? Or is this an mm thing?
The biggest question is, should I be worried about this? Ive never seen a process so large while not actively running.
Is there anything I can do to really find out what makes it so large?

Any insight appreciated!

max