[nycbug-talk] network kvm

George Georgalis george
Thu Jul 14 16:35:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 02:42:51PM -0400, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I've never used a network kvm, only read about them in ads. So, I was
>> wondering if one will really fit my requirement or if there is a better
>> solution.
>>
>> The idea is to keep people out of a noisy server room. At least one box
>> in there is running X, and we'd like console access to see bios post on
>> as many as feasible (eg 6 vs all ~30). Most of these hosts have no
>> available pci for realweasel, etc.
>>
>> The best solution would be a regular kvm which can run
>> vga/keyboard/mouse at ~100" from the console switch. Is there a device
>> like this available?
>>
>> What other options are there? (was thinking a kvm that serves vnc or
>> some such to a rack box, which runs vncclient and X, and from which ssh
>> X forwarding can be used to get the console...) There is copper Gb
>> throughout.
>You want Dell 2161DS and SIP extenders and SIP modules. Depending where
>you buy, your cost for 128 ports (full system) will be between 100$ and
>200$ per port.

I was hoping for something in the $800 to $2000 range, 6 to 30 ports.
Oh, can we do that in 20 ports?

Isn't there somebody that can send kvm control signals over cat-5, eg
vga/kbd/mouse to black box to cat5 to kvm extension jack? something
else? I seem to remember kvm extenders but I don't know if this is their
application or what they are...

...Google to the rescue http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0dt23008a.html
$20, there is a few others to choose from, now I need 8 or 16 port kvm
switch without ip :} ...don't see more than four, unless they come with
IP and extra $1500. Any big KVM switches like this around?

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org