[nycbug-talk] VPN vs IPsec

Michael Shalayeff mickey
Fri Jul 15 13:17:12 EDT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from michael:
> After the last NYCBUG talk "Angelos Keromytis: OpenBSD IPsec stack" I have been reading up on securing a wifi connection.  Two alternatives to WEP are OpenVPN and IPsec.
>
> According to a SANS white paper (http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/vpns/1459.php) "IPsec VPNs are either too expensive or too difficult to use securely."  The paper goes on to support OpenVPN.
>
> Angelos gave an informative talk and even put up graphs that showed IPsec pushes more/faster.
>
> I know there are a lot of variables to examine, but...
> 1. Does anyone bother to secure wifi beyond WEP?
> 2. Are OpenVPN and IPsec good alternatives?
> 3. Of those which makes more sense for a wifi installation?

it's really hard to answer your question as you have left out
every bit of information that would allow to make any answer.

in fact it's just a troll post (;

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)