[nycbug-talk] FW: Which job?

pete wright nomadlogic
Mon Jul 18 21:26:02 EDT 2005

On 7/18/05, Megan Restuccia <megan.restuccia at verizon.net> wrote:

> I agree, you could get to play with lots of cool toys - depending on the
> job. But be aware, that if the goal is to ultimately get to a "finance"
> company in NYC, having the college on your resume could be a hinderance. If
> this person is happy at the ISP, and not clamouring to get out - I would
> stay at the ISP. A $4k increase isn't that worth jumping into something he
> perceives as being confining.
>
> Just my $.02
> Megan

yea i agree with the money bit, it's hard justifying unhappiness monetarily.
although personally i've been working in a private sector ever since leaving
Uni. and have been trying to get back in to a educational environment ever
since. so like the other follks on the list, decide where you'd want to be
10-20 years down the road and shoot for it.

Megan, how would having the educational experience on your Resume hurt
chances with a finical firm...just because you be an industry "outsider" or
is there a stigmata on people coming off university jobs? just curious....

-p

>From: Bjorn Nelson <o_sleep at belovedarctos.com>
> >Date: Sun Jul 17 22:24:58 CDT 2005
> >To: Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net>
> >Cc: talk at lists.nycbug.org
> >Subject: Re: [nycbug-talk] FW: Which job?
>
> >Matt,
> >
> >On Jul 17, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> >
> >> Just got a message from a fellow board poster asking me to post the
> >> following. They dont want their name to appear in google since it
> >> deals with job hunting.
> >>

> >> ---snip---
> >>
> >> I currently work at an ISP and just got a job offer to go to a
> >> College I used to work at for $4000/year more than I make now with
> >> benefits (state benefits) and a pension plan. The company I work
> >> for now isn't as stable, but I know if I go back to the College
> >> I'll lose my creativity and wont get to work with cool toys like I
> >> do at the ISP. I'm 21, rent my home, and hope to work in New York
> >> one day doing LAMP & BSD/Linux admin. Which job would look best on
> >> a resume (College Computer Services staff member or ISP Sysadmin)?
> >>
> >> ---end snip---
> >
> >If you work at the college you attend as a student, it will make your
> >student career much easier. Also, working at a college doesn't
> >necessarily mean you don't get to play with cool toys.
> >
> >-Bjorn

~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright
www.nycbug.org <http://www.nycbug.org>