[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD, numbering disks...

George Georgalis george
Tue Jul 19 09:01:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 01:46:46AM -0400, Jesse Callaway wrote:
>On Monday 18 July 2005 11:59 pm, George Georgalis says:
>> What's the best way to assure my root ata disk doesn't get renumbered,
>> when new sata drives are added?
>>

>There isn't one. The number will get bumped. Not when you're running, but if
>you reboot. So I'm assuming this is only a problem when rebooting. Maybe you

The thing is, BIOS doesn't number them differently, ata is always
first, then sata drives (there is no sata/pata in bios boot order, just
hd-0,1,2,3,4...), it is the OS renumbering the drives, so I imagine it
could be programmed or configured to do "the thing I expect" -- whether
that is right or not.

dkcsum: wd0 matched BIOS disk 81
dkcsum: wd1 matched BIOS disk 80

I think the only thing required is a "configuration" to make BIOS 0x80
always map to wd0.

biosboot(8), boot(8), disklabel(8), fdisk(8), init(8), boot_i386(8),
installboot(8) autoconf(4), biosboot(8), boot_config(8), config(8)

...but I don't see mention of "BIOS disk"...

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org