[nycbug-talk] Email providers

Francisco Reyes lists
Wed Jul 20 15:56:49 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Seems people have the bases covered for reccomendations, I'm quite pleased
> with my loftmail

Bruno set me up.. moving some web hosting to bizintegrator too. :-)

> What are other people's expectations on the list, as to how much email should
> cost?

Getting back.. late into the thread..
I think there is enough market for both premium services and dirt cheap
(not necessarily most features/reliable).

For the most part once you setup the infrastructure there should not be
much overhead for a company for serving email, therefore it's low cost.

In terms of fee.. I see mostly in the $2 and lower per month range for
basic accounts.

> Would people pay a premium for *really* good email, or do we all feel
> email should be as cheap as water?

I have actually seen a couple of companies targetting the premiun market
and charging upwards of $5/email AND then having addon services (ie
archiving) which make it even more. I think it's all about needs vs cost.
If someone has a feature few others have then they are likely going to
charge a premium.

> (For me, I can't bear to spend money on
> my own email, when I know I'm sending/receiving mostly from shoddy accounts
> everyone else has, so what's the point...?)

What others do is one thing.. but having reliable email for me is
important. I am currently switching ISP because of reliability issues.

Bruno at Loftmail/Bizintegrators has been very helpfull in moving,
my email and web hosting to them.