[nycbug-talk] installing cat5 cabling

George Georgalis george
Fri Jul 22 18:00:54 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 05:37:04PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>So after talking with a few of the guys that work in the office, we
>thought we should look at taking this on ourselves.  We all can work a
>punchdown tool and a cable tester, and at the prices we were quoted, the

Neat, okay everybody, time to punchdown your jack...

>We're only looking at a dozen desks, but the support guys each can eat up
>a half-dozen jacks, and we're putting our phone system in the same cabling
>setup so we can easily convert to VoIP in a few months.  Everything goes
>back to a patch panel so support guys can easily get a POTS or (S/A)DSL
>line to their desks, or pull in another network for testing, etc.  I think
>42 jacks is not really overkill.

you can get a 5 or 8 port netgear Gb switch for the desktop, for less
than your quoted jack cost -- but sounds like you need more than
ethernet.

>It looks like we need about 6300' of cable, a few patch panels, the
>surface mount boxes, 2/4/6/8 outlet jacks, lots of tie wraps, a new
>punchdown tool and a decent cable tester.
>
>Does anyone here have a favorite vendor for cabling supplies?  I need to
>break out labor vs. parts on this to decide if we want to take a few
>employees over and do this ourselves, but I'm not familiar with any of the
>vendors out there.  Local or mail order, either is fine.

http://cablewholesale.com
call them and ask for a catalog, a little out of date compared to the website
but it has a coupon code on the back, or maybe you can convince them to tell you
the current 10% off code, it changes ever 4 months or so.

in any events they got everything, for less and ground shipping gets
here pretty quick. ..Learned about them on this list..

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org