[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD/PF books

George Georgalis george
Fri Jul 22 18:09:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 07:45:16PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 05:51:09PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 05:27:46PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> >
>> >Building Firewalls with OpenBSD and PF, 2nd Edition
>> >Jacek Artymiak
>> >
>> >Secure Architectures with OpenBSD
>> >Brandon Palmer
>> >

>> Both sound interesting, I've been meaning to inquire about pf rule set
>> examples, favorite techniques, examples on the web, etc. Can't say I've
>> done much research yet as I'm still focused on deployment; but I'm
>> moving forward on migrating firewalls from iptables.
>

>I have a really basic guide to pf--but, hey, Peter of Peter's firewall
>page said nice things about it.  :)
>
>http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/pf.html
>
>(However, George, I think it's below your level--it's more for people
>who haven't used ~that~ type of syntax before.  If you'd only used
>iptables (or chains) and nothing else, then it might help a bit.

Hey that looks pretty good, in fact pretty much exactly what I was
looking for.  I was patching kernels to get advanced iptable features, 5
years ago, but learning a new language, typically a howto will be easier
than man page getting started.

Jacek Artymiak's articles look good too.

but my real problem is working out maintaining fstab for the root
filesystem when I add and remove sata drives. big PITA.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org