[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD, numbering disks...

bruno bruno
Fri Jul 22 18:49:47 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 06:22:52PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 09:16:48AM -0400, bruno wrote:

> >> The thing is, BIOS doesn't number them differently, ata is always
> >> first, then sata drives (there is no sata/pata in bios boot order, just
> >> hd-0,1,2,3,4...), it is the OS renumbering the drives, so I imagine it
> >> could be programmed or configured to do "the thing I expect" -- whether
> >> that is right or not.
> >>
> >> dkcsum: wd0 matched BIOS disk 81
> >> dkcsum: wd1 matched BIOS disk 80
> >>
> >> I think the only thing required is a "configuration" to make BIOS 0x80
> >> always map to wd0.
> >
> >You can probably do this with a kernel config file.
>
> I've been looking but can't find anything like this, only go there if
> you know exactly what you are doing, type statements.

Something like this, in GENERIC (OpenBSD):

# IDE hard drives
wd*     at wdc? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0000
wd*     at pciide? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0000

You can perhaps hardcode to what you want:

wd0	at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0 flags 0x0000
wd1	at .......

If you hardcode all your drives, including ones you add/remove, maybe
there is a chance your devices would always stay the same.
Assuming this works at all, and/or works with IDE.