[nycbug-talk] installing cat5 cabling

Charles Sprickman spork
Fri Jul 22 19:04:03 EDT 2005

I'll just answer everyone at once rather than cluttering the list with a
bunch of replies...

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
> Check whether the building will *allow* you do to that.

Yes, we're very lucky, this building is a free-for-all as far as labor
(and more importantly, letting us sell access to other tenants).  Very
happy with our choice so far.  Have an FOC of 7/27 for an ethernet drop
from ConEd to connect back to our PoP at 111 8th Avenue.

> Home Depot has all of the above. Or you can go with graybar if you want
> wider selection.

After reading, I think I'll just rule out local suppliers (unless anyone
knows of someone cheap and local in NNJ) and ask for mail order houses.

George G. mentioned cablewholesale.com, nice prices, $68/1000' CAT5E.  I
did notice that there and on a few other places I found via Google there
is no brand name mentioned.  Should this be a concern?

I'm also looking for someone that carries a full line of Hubbell
jacks/panels/IDFs, any pointers?

Thanks all!

This client is more than a client, so I'm not really looking to do this to
make any more than the time that involves me, just FYI.

Charles