[nycbug-talk] tarpitting

michael lists
Thu Jul 28 13:54:00 EDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:58:36 -0400
"George Georgalis" <george at galis.org> wrote:

> How many connections can openbsd sustain in a tarpit capacity?  How
> effective is tarpitting against attackers? Isn't an attacker able
> to release a tcp connect that gets tarpitted? (even if he must
> intentionally do so or code to do so?)
>
> (I'm not really concerned about slowing worms here, but that is an
> obvious advantage, if the worm is not smart enough to release the
> connection.)
>
> // George

Here's the presentation by Bob Beck.  It may have some answers.
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/bsdcan05-spamd/

Yes, they can release a tcp connection, as as the paper points out.
That is fine, they go away.  It turns out, they disconnect within a
predictable pattern.

I have a light duty mail gateway that uses tarpitting.  It currently has
around 30K entries in the spamdb, of which 18k are currently grey, with
around 500 currently connected (established, fin_wait, or closing) to
port 25.. if that helps.

TIMEOUTS:
tcp.first                   120s
tcp.opening                  30s