[nycbug-talk] Re: [nylug-talk] open source HVAC control software

Michael Shalayeff mickey
Fri Jun 3 10:16:52 EDT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from alex at pilosoft.com:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, George wrote:
>
> > Actually, do some heavy googling because FBSD's PHK is apparently doing
> > many things in that arena with Soekris boxes. . .
> >
> > But you'd have to agree with Alex that it seems frivilous to go this
> > route.  It might make sense to figure out getting data over RS485 to a
> > box, then what would allow you to tail the data over that route. . .
> Bottom line is, when your open source-picked thing fails and sets the
> building on fire by setting your HVAC to heat instead of cool, what will
> you tell the board members?

this is typical american boolshit.
what does it matter who to blame?
or do you mean "commercial" software does not fail?
every single commercial piece of software is a pile of poo.
and guess what? there is nothing you can do about it.
you live w/ it and that gives you false sense of security
and makes you think it will just work because there
is no other choice and if it does not you will find your way
around to make it _kinda_ do what you want.
and you live w/ it blaming the vendor for your own
inability to make things work...

> RS-485 interface is fairly low-level and you can control specific parts of
> the unit via that.
>
> This isn't linux on desktop, kids. This is real stuff. Code fails, things
> catch fire.

yes and real stuff is not about this stupid bigotry
it's about YOU making sure it WORKS before YOU
deploy it into USE irregardless of what it's made of.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)