[nycbug-talk] Getting started in Consulting

Francisco Reyes lists
Fri Jun 3 20:26:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Kevin Reiter wrote:

> etc.) is a good way to show them how expensive it can be to have a file
> server.  FreeBSD wins 9 out of 10 times :)

Stability is also a big sell.
I have one client I am 100% won't remember his server is FreeBSD, but he
surely knows its not windows.. Except for a few hard drives dying and a
twice a year update, his server has just been working for close to 6
years.

He is so happy with his server he even asked me if we could swap his
workstations to FreeBSD, but unfortunately he has some windows programs
that he needs AND a web site that ONLY works with IE. :-(

We are upgrading the server this weekend.. and it's primarily an issue
of HD space.. Given the time it was going to take me to backup/restore..
  swap drives... I convinced him to just get a new machine.

On a side/funny note.. what I like most about this client is that he
absolutely doesn't care what I use as long as it works.. when I told him I
was going to move to the new hardware this weekend he said "why are you
telling me? when I come monday everything better be working so just do
whatever you have to" :-)