[nycbug-talk] Getting started in Consulting

Isaac Levy ike
Fri Jun 3 20:47:59 EDT 2005

Hey All,

On Jun 3, 2005, at 8:33 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> In the earliest days I can't say I didn't get royally screwed around
>> here and there, but those were all good learning experiences- expect
>> them to happen
>
> I highly recommend a one page "engagement contract" saying that you
> will do computer work and that they will pay you X per hour. Specially
> if someone is asking for a big project and you have never worked with
> them.
>
> Next week I plan to go to small claims court and I wish I had done an
> engagement contract with that client :-(

Regarding contracts, they are VERY important.  They don't necessarily
stop the really bad people from abusing you, that takes work however
you slice it- (but they do mitigate risks with nasty people).

I really see contracts as valuable to get 2 honest parties heads
wrapped around their expectations of the project BEFORE the project
begins.

--
As an aside, I have a really great contract lawyer who's done some
solid work for me.  She's not cheap, but she's directly saved me more

Best,
.ike