[nycbug-talk] Getting started in Consulting

Charles Sprickman spork
Sat Jun 4 22:42:11 EDT 2005

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:

> On 06/03/05 08:47 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>> Regarding contracts, they are VERY important.  They don't necessarily stop
>> the really bad people from abusing you, that takes work however you slice
>> it- (but they do mitigate risks with nasty people).
>
> I'm going off on a tangent somewhat here, but there appear to be a lot of
> freelancers here.

I'm part freelancer, part part-time employee.  I don't know where the hell
I fit in.

> What do people do, if anything, for liability insurance, and/or professional
> liability insurance?

+1 for nothing.

I did find it is required if you say, want to co-lo a box at any
reasonable facility, and it's not cheap.  I understand the idea there - if
you're gear catches fire and kills off all your neighbors then your
insurance covers that.  For those that do admin/programming stuff, I have
no idea what the benefits are.  I've never been asked by a client if I had
any type of insurance though, for whatever that's worth.

Charles